Pages

Tuesday 5 July 2011

Reality Check

I'll just interrupt myself at this point and fast forward to the present. I am mostly stable on a cocktail of medication including: Xanax, Zoloft, Seroquel & Abilify. I have been on this cocktail since my hospitalisation just over 2 years ago (more on that later).

My opinion on the drugs vs no drugs debate is that if you need them, take them. Don't be a hero and try and cope when you could benefit from a little medical intervention. If you can cope without medication(s) then fantastic - but there are some of us that have to face the fact that we are going to have to take these medications for the rest of our lives.

My depression is a chemical imbalance. I have been lucky and not had any life experiences that have caused my deression. It's just there because my seratonin levels (and whatever else) are screwed up. I know there are limits to how much I can reduce my meds to, if at all.

I am, after a long, long time, resigned to the fact that I will have to take some amount of medication for the rest of my life. I hate it. I really hate that fact, but I have no choice. That's the way it is. Life sucks, but it would suck a whole lot more if I stopped taking my meds.

to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment